Wish upon a star *

Monday, January 17, 2011

Looking for PISA pool replacement

For almost a year now the PISA pool has been closed, and there's no sign of it re-opening anytime soon. I need my swim! I have been thinking for a while now how I should arrange my time and logistics to get myself to a 50m pool. My options are USM, which is nearer to my place, and Permata Pool, which is super far away. But I'm not a USM student, how do I get to use the pool?

The most do-able option from what I see is the Permata Pool in Paya Terubong. Today, I attempted to try out the feasibility of getting to this pool as a long term solution to the absence of PISA.

I was back from work by 6+pm. Changed, pack and I was ready to go in 15mins. I decided to go with motorbike to avoid jam. I take my motorbike through the BJ roundabout towards Relau, up the Tun Sardon Hill and into Paya Terubong. It was about 12km and it takes me 30mins on the bike to reach Permata Pool. Entrance fee to the pool is RM4. Hmm, I can't remember how much was it when I last went in Jun 2010 but I think the price has increased.

Verdict:
Not feasible to swim in Permata Pool as a usual every-other-day workout if you are staying in Bayan Lepas area.

First of all, traveling to Permata Pool by car will take forever because of the high traffic volume in the evening. So motorcycle is the next best option, and it consume less petrol too. But I can tell you that it was really scary to ride a motorbike during the rush hour, especially at the BJ roundabout. Maybe I just need to ride more often to get used to it. I've been spoiled with a car for too long, pampered with air-cond, radio and plenty of car space. When I reached Relau, the situation does not get better. The road there were narrow and it was so full of vehicles, it was disaster waiting to happen when all those motorbikes squeeze through the middle of the road right beside on-coming traffic. A lot of huge and 'smoky' bas kilang...arghh! Third comes the Tun Sardon/Paya Terubong Hill. It was a nightmare cycling up this steep slope (which by the way, I still haven't manage to conquer it without jumping off the bicycle). I didn't know it will be scary on motorbike too. It was so steep that I think my mbike may die sooner than its intended lifetime if I go up and down it too often.

I will think twice the next time I need to swim in a 50m pool.

On another note, on my way back from the pool, I pass through this road side pasar malam in Relau. It is quite a big scale pasar malam on Monday night. Lots of stalls and lots of people. Next time I shall pay the pasar malam a visit. But maybe not the Permata Pool anytime soon.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home