Wish upon a star *

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Kenyir Triathlon 2011

...continue from previous post...

The next morning when I woke up, I was so nervous about the race that I didn't notice any other things around me. It was until Miow called me that I know it was actually pouring outside. We were suppose to meet at the carpark at 7am then go to the start point together. The start point, also the transition area is where everything will happen. It is 2 to 3km away from our resort. Because of the rain, we delayed our gather time to 7.15am.

It was still pouring when 7.15 came. I had no choice but to go. I am not going to give up after all the long journey to reach here. So I pushed my bike out into the rain, carrying a large recycle bag with transition things in it, wearing my slippers and in no time, I am cold and wet waiting for Miow and Johnny to go to transition area together.

It was hard getting to the transition, the road was downhill, brake that doesn't work, on slippers, large recycle bag, cold. Hmph...one word to describe, miserable!

Got to the transition area. Hang up the bike, unpack and arrange transition things in the provided basket then off we go to queue for body marking. Do I hear you asking what's body marking? I tell you ar, it is the coolest things that only triathletes get. To have your bib number written on your arms. Some ppl must be thinking i am nuts at this point, nvm, obviously you're not a triathlete *blek :P


Queuing to get the coolest thing a triathlete can get *wink
Privilege people like Miow and me have umbrella carrier (in yellow) to shield us from the rain...thanks Chin!

Despite the rain, the cold and the nervousness, plus the possible change of plan by the organizer from swim-bike-run to swim-run due to safety reason, I had plenty of fun running around getting ready, taking photos and meeting fellow friends.


Yay, finally my turn

Still have some time before race start at 8.30am. We went for a test swim. Was really surprised to find that the water was warm. Syok! No wonder so many people dipping in the water lar..!


Me in blue, ready to go test water. See, so many ppl dipping in the warm lake water

The water was not as dark and scary as I have imagine. It was actually quite clear and I could see my arms and the person swimming in front of me. Pheew, that gives me some sense of relief. After the test swim, I felt better. Not as nervous anymore.


The swim course. 2 loops along the outside of the triangle makes up 1.5km swim (it wasn't exactly 1.5k, under-distance)

At 8.30am, we were flagged off. In the end, organizer did not remove the bike leg but stress again and again that we should be extra careful and whatever it is, safety always comes first.

The initial stage of the swim was tough. There were so many people around, and let me tell you, I hate those breaststroke swimmer. Sorry, but this stroke is not "public-friendly". The nature of the kick and stroke is outwards, so you tend to kick and shove people to your left, right and kick people at the back! I got a couple of kick, on the shoulder (which bruises the next day) and rib. Fortunately none on the face, thank GOD!

The 2nd loop was better when people spread out more. And during this 2nd loop, I notice that white rope just below the water that follows the triangle swim route. Following that rope, I don't have to keep lifting my head out of the water to check if I'm swimming on the right course. Sighting with freestyle is difficult, it takes a lot of effort to lift the head out of the water. Something that I should practice more next time.

Completed the swim ok. Got out of the water, still feeling strong. One down, two to go.

At the transition area, I put on bike helmet and ate a gel. Had problem putting on my bib, only manage to get it on after a while. Wheel the bike out of transition area and the first thing that greets me is a hill. Huffing and puffing and pedal really hard up that short but steep hill. Wow, conquering that hill really had my heart beating hard and fast.

After that hill, it was a scary roller coaster ride. Rolling hills with some corners. At one point, i really shouted out loud, too scary. The rain was so heavy at one point that I had to use my hand to shield my eyes, else I cannot see! Rain drops poking my exposed arms, that was painful.

On my way back, when I reach the super steep hill (the one with a lorry breakdown and blocked one lane of the road, the same part where I screamed earlier when I come down that hill), I came down to push. I am a very bad hill cyclist. A lot of time, I had to push my way up, and this time, I decided pushing it is less painful than cycling.

I was so tired by the time I reached the top. At the last part of bike route before reaching transition area, there is another hill and this time, I cycle through it. Down that hill and that's the end of bike leg.


Classic!! Screaming (again) down the slope because I cannot stop even with both front and rear brakes pressed hard
This is the last downhill before reaching transition area

I was pretty blur from this point onwards. I even ran out the wrong way after loading bike. The marshal call to me and show me the right way. He asked me if I'm Korean!! Do I look like one? -_-||


Love to run in the rain...cool and refreshing

Run route has a number of hills too. Like cycling, I am not good running on slopes either. I manage to keep at a pace between 6:35 to 7 mins/km. I wasn't pushing hard, just run however fast my legs could carry. I was already counting down the km ahead of me. Can't wait for it to be over, I was tired already.

Water station were serving ice cold water even though it was raining and weather was cold. Always got a cold-shock each time I take a sip at water station.

I run and I run...conquering the last steep hill before reaching finishing line. 500m before finishing, Tuan Tuan fly past me. I was too tired to give chase, plus, she's not in the same category as me. So I let her go and I slowed down a bit so that I get to cross the finishing alone and can get a proper personal finishing photo...hehehe.

But unfortunately, I think nobody manage to capture my finishing photo holding the, urm, what do you call that banner THING they hold across the finishing arc? Anyway, no biggie. I get plenty of hugs from fellow friends. Warm hugs.

The sense of satisfaction, and happiness is hard to explain, especially with my limited vocab. Sorry. At that moment, I very much agree with what Ben told me before. He said, completing a triathlon gives you 3 times the satisfaction of finishing any other single leg event. Very true indeed.


A happy finisher. Aihh, but I don't look very happy, do I?

According to the official result here, this is my time:
9 604 Cheah Lie Wei Malaysia 0:37:26 1:31:13 0:55:38 3:04:17

First number is swim time, followed by bike time, run time and total time.

I finished in 9th placing in the Women Open category and I got RM100 for prize money. It isn't very much but nevertheless, I am super super happy that I completed my first OD Triathlon.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • *rounds of applause*

    you looked so happy in the cycling shot hehe

    By Blogger cryingpearls, at Apr 28, 2011, 2:12:00 PM  

  • Way to go, blue fish! :D

    Haha ya I agree with u -- that photo of u riding in the rain was classic indeed! (screaming u said? more like grinning from ear to ear to me) :P

    Love how the photographer managed to capture those droplets of rain/water too!

    Can definitely feel more energy coming from this post than, say, the earlier Malakoff's one :D

    Congrats once again!

    Huei Hwang.

    By Blogger HH, at Apr 28, 2011, 10:57:00 PM  

  • A thousand apologies... not taking a shot of you at the finish is my fault. I blame the "tua liap lang" and all the umbrellas sticking up and blocking my way...

    By Blogger Chin Chin, at May 3, 2011, 9:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home