Wish upon a star *

Thursday, June 30, 2011

SCKLM 2011

Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon 2011 mark the third year of my participation in KL Marathon. For the past 2 years, I did half marathon. This year though, I decided to sign-up for full marathon. Partly because the registration fee for full marathon is more worth it compared to half. Full marathon registration fee is RM60, half is RM55. With just RM5 more, I get to run 2x longer the distance which means I get to drink 2x water. In addition to that, I get a finisher T-shirt if I finish 42.195km within qualifying time (6hrs).
I know this kind of thinking is crazy, paying RM5 more for 2x the suffering...2x the pain. Runners are crazy ppl!

I started my training only after PCC Interstate Ride. That was about 8 weeks before this marathon. Everything went well, until 3 days before the big day. At my last tapering run on Thu, my left knee starts to hurt real bad. It's usual to feel some knee pain once in awhile, a short period during run and it will go away if I continue to run, or when I finish the run. But this time, the pain lingers on. I couldn't fully bend nor fully straighten my leg, the knee felt so tight. I was really worried, not knowing what happen and what had caused the pain. My mental was under attack...do you know that in a marathon, mental strength is much more important than physical. The mind alone can get you through it, but physical strength without mental would just mean quitting half way..

For the next few days leading to the marathon, I dare not think about setting finishing time goal. I just hope I can run, because after many weeks of training and not being able to run would be so so sad. I iced my knee everyday, after ice I usually feel better.

On the morning of marathon, I woke up to an OK knee. Not in perfect condition, but it feels much better compared to 3 days ago. I told myself I'm going to try to run. And that I should give up running if I feel pain, should not be stubborn and continue to run if it hurts.

At 5am sharp, we were flagged off. And so, I ran in my own comfortable pace, which is around 7mins/km pace. Knee felt ok...

Along the way, I see familiar faces of friends and regular running kaki. We have 2 buses traveling from Penang, so there are plenty of familiar faces to bump into :-)

I was taking the run easy. Trying to maintain 7mins/km pace, little did I know that my watch actually needs re-calibration after the battery was dead a week ago. That inaccurate reading of the watch nearly caused me my sub-5hr finishing.

At one point of the run, we actually share the route with the half marathoners. So we get to meet those fast half marathoners like the Kenyans. I think that was somewhere in km15. Seeing the half marathoners running so fast, it gave some boost to my own running too. They ran with big step and yet very fast cadence. Born to run?

At 20km into the run, I was still feeling pretty good. It was 7 plus in the morning and the sky is bright enough to see that it was covered with clouds, dark clouds that indicate that rain is coming. I have been praying for rain since the day I sign-up for this marathon. I love running in the rain...cool surrounding makes running easier and less painful. So I was really happy and excited that my prayers will be answered. I keep looking at the sky and it makes me smile.

Somewhere in the 20km is when I realized that I am not in a comfortable position in getting a sub-5hrs finishing time. There must not be delay in this 2nd part of the run in order to achieve target. I start to keep monitoring my watch to make sure I don't slack. There were moments of anxious, excited, worried, stress because I was at the borderline of hit or miss. Every minute and every second count.

The route took us from KL City, out of KL City before going back into the city to the finish line. As we run out of the city, the clouds starts to disappear. At that time, we were almost at km30 already, and it was 9 plus in the morning. The sun was up, no more clouds, traffic on the road builds up and the surrounding temperature rises. And of course at km30, my body was getting really tired. The fact that there were a lot of idiots on the road, being stuck in traffic, keep honking and honking even though they know that honking will not get them anywhere doesn't help me feel any better. What's wrong with these people anyway? Digital signboard has been put up on major road to notify road users about road closure before event date, there were publicity around advertising about this once-a-year International Race in the city and yet, these people chose to drive on the affected road and then get angry when they got caught in traffic jam.

I think it was also around this time when I saw HH? Or did he call out to me? Hmm, can't remember. We ran together for awhile, until km36 when he decided to drop back. I still remember I told him it was just another 6km to go, but my persuasion skill wasn't good enough to keep him motivated. So he drop back. While still running with HH, I saw Yip on bike with Milo cans visible on the side mesh pocket of his bag. Wah, so tempting. I was thinking to myself, if only I can grab some of those Milo in can. At that moment, the guy in front of me, who obviously knows Yip, took a can of Milo from his bag but before he drank it, something happen. Ahh, think somebody else offer him something more interesting, so he pass me the Milo can instead. Another wish come true incident?!! I very gladly took the Milo can from him, shared it with HH. Yumms...! I love Milo in cans! And of course ice cold Milo from Milo van too!

Saw Tey at one of the water station, think it may be km36 water station. He gave me a pat on the shoulder and ask me to go get my sub-5hrs. Haha...thinking back about that, the situation was funny. His words has it's effect. It gets me moving...
At crucial times like this, any form of encouragement will always help in pushing one further. I felt the effect, and I know the feeling. So the next time you see a runner struggling, give them some encouragement, you may just help give them the little push they needed.

Not far from km36, Bukit Tunku awaits!! I saw the signboard, Bukit Tunku. Well, the name Bukit not necessarily means it is hilly rite? I try to keep a positive mind. But soon, the hill emerge. Many people were walking already but I refuse to stop to a walk. Although I am slow, I keep in the running mode. "Small step, fast cadence and arm swing motion...!!" That was my chant.

There will be downhill at the end of this, no worries. I can see the top already. But then, arghhh, a left turn at the end of the top came another hill. Whew, that was such a disappointment, expect to see a downhill but was greeted by a slope instead. Take a look at my watch and I kept running...painful I tell you. Water station at km38 was at the top of the hill. After that it was downhill, finally!

Thought I could go faster when go downhill, but half way into it I felt cramp coming on my calf. To prevent it, I was forced to slow down. I had to pray and hope that the cramping feeling would go away soon. Leaving Bukit Tunku, we were once again back in KL City.

At one of the corners, there were these bunch of familiar faces and they call out to me. "Taiping!! Go go go...!" They were the group of runners from KL that I get to know in Taiping Lake Garden after the incident with 2 Indians on motorbike. It was so nice to see them again. I waived to them and continue chasing after my sub-5.

After a few more turnings, I was on the last 2km to the finishing line. That must be the longest ever 2km I've ever run. They were never-ending. At the last traffic light before Dataran Merdeka, a bigger group of supporters were seen cheering. They are my Penang running friends. They cheered really loud, help me with my last push towards the finishing line.

In my happy mode with all the cheering from the Penang runners. Thank you all who cheered for me :-)

When I crossed the finish, the clock on the arch shows 4:59:26. YES!! I got my sub-5hrs! So close, man!
My net time is 4:57:57.

One for the album. Finally ending it after almost 5hrs of running

It wasn't a PB, it wasn't a great time, but the satisfaction of completing 42.195km, some more within targeted time is indescribable. You have gotta run it to experience it :-)

This must be one of the happiest marathon I've ever run. Come to think of it, all 3 of my marathons so far were a happy one. I am grateful for what I have, the ability to run.

------------------
I think this year, the organizer has improved a lot. Water station handling was good. They have enough water for everyone and the station is every 2km apart. Just nice.

However, pacers still have plenty of room for improvement, at least for the two 5hrs pacers with white balloon. I don't know about the other faster pacers.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home