Wish upon a star *

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Taiping not safe to run anymore

Like the past 4 Sundays before today, I am doing a long slow distance (LSD) as part of the training to Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon (SCKLM). Today’s distance is 32km, my last and longest training distance before tapering and cutting back down on distance.

Lately, sun rise is extremely early where the sky starts to bright up at 7am and it starts to get a bit hot starting 8am. To prevent getting too much sun, I started my run at 5.20am. I am not alone today as sis decided to accompany me even though it starts at such ungodly hour.

We ran towards Taiping Lake Garden from home, it is about 4 to 5km away. All is well until we reach Lake Garden, at this particular stretch. I heard a motorcycle coming from behind, and I was telling my sis about this stretch being a one way road and there’s still some stupid idiot riding in illegal direction, which by the way, is very normal because the road around the lake has been changed multiple times and I guess, the general public are confused as a result. For safety reason, I always make sure I run against traffic. As soon as I finish saying it, there was a loud bang, the motorcycle pass by and I feel pain on my backside. Everything happened so fast.

What actually happened was the 2 Indian guy on motorcycle came from behind and hit me on my backside (I don’t know with what, but it sounded like a text book hitting the table). I was wearing hydration belt on my hip, with water bottles (photo below if you don’t know what is a hydration belt).


Till today, I still couldn’t figure out what he used to hit me, my water bottle still intact and not spoiled. I was stunned, a bit blur, it took me awhile to know what just happened. I was worried they may come back, because after all, Taiping Lake Garden is a loop-loop road, but sis said, they may be afraid to come back for a second time. So, we continue to run in the same direction.

After awhile, they came back! This time from opposite direction. They came to our side of the road, trying to scared us or something and then leave. Fortunately they didn’t stop to do anything. Not knowing what to do, it was still dark that time (still not 6am yet) we can only continue to run. I found a stone for defense, that’s all I can do. When we reach the split road to Bkt Larut, there were 5 policemen on 5 motorcycles doing their rounding. That sort of provide some relieve, it did occur to me if I should stop them and tell them what happen. But then on second thought, there isn’t much info I can tell them, I cannot remember what the Indians were wearing, or their bike number plate. On the other hand, I thought about all the trouble that would caused me if I were to stop them; like the police may want me to make a police report at the station, or stop my running and etc. I am adamant to complete my 32km this day! So I didn’t do anything and just see them passed. It will be bright very soon anyway.

The next lap, heading towards me, I saw a group of men running together forming 2 lines with a leader in front. The leader has an Energizer Night Marathon headlight on his forehead. We passed each other saying our good mornings and then after awhile, sis and I decided to turn back and stick with them for safety reason. And it seems like they run at my LSD pace, luck is on my side :)

I stick to the leader and we chatted while running, while sis stick to the bigger bunch at the back. Found out that they are on an annual family trip (each of the men travels with their family and they travel together) and this year they decided to pay Taiping a visit. They are doing a 10km morning jog around Lake Garden. They will be running the SCKLM too, some full, some half-marathon. It was at the end of the run that the leader told me he was actually in a bit of a struggle trying to keep up with me during our run together, oppss, sorry Hee Sang, sorry that my joining you disrupted your comfortable pace :P
(hope I got his name right...)

After finishing 2 loop of 5km with them, we parted at the foothill of Bukit Larut. They are stopping there to buy the jeep ticket for their later visit up to Bkt Larut. The ticket counter opens at 7.30am. Sis also decided to stop there, so I am left to complete the remaining of my 10km alone. It was already bright by then, so I'll be safe

Today I was in good form. Maybe the early morning shock, and the nice chat with new runners gives me new energy...haha.

On my last lap, this guy who I kept bumping into during my loops (he runs in opposite direction of me) approach me and we had some talk. I've seen him many times before in my usual weekend run in Lake Garden, also a frequent runner. Found out that he is from Taiping but working in KL, will also be running SC KLM full marathon in another 3 weeks. Forgot to get his name though, I'll call him Pokey (coz he has short pokey hair). We didn't talk long, because I'm ending my 32km already and my family is waiting for me at Bkt Larut foothill to go breakfast.

As I'm stretching near our car, sis and I telling the story of scary encounter with Indians on motorbike earlier in the morning. Pokey walk by also finishing his run, and he said something that reminded me how lucky I am to have such a supportive family.

Sis accompany me to start run at 5.20am, mum & dad adjusted hiking time so that they can meet me at my half way point to provide me water support, and finishing hike around the time I finish my run so that we can all go breakfast together.

Yes I am lucky. I am thankful to have a family that truly supports me, no matter how crazy my hobby/dreams are.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home