Wish upon a star *

Monday, September 21, 2015

Another half marathon

It's been awhile since I last wrote a post here, 13 months, that's how long it has been. A lot has change since then. I am no longer an engineer. I am not working in corporate world anymore. I am not writing so much anymore. I think I should start collecting memories again, life and experience came and went too fast. I need to slow it down and enjoy it more. So here I am today, trying to start penning again.

So, I have a full marathon race coming soon in 1 month time. I have not been running enough to complete 42km comfortably; i.e. I am under train for this marathon. I have lost my motivation in running. My longest distance so far is 19.5km, prior to this was 15km. Because of that, I sign up for a half marathon to encourage myself to cover longer distance. I haven't been running half marathon races for awhile now, so it is kinda exciting to be running one.

Chin Chin found us a half marathon, it was the Fire Fighter Cyberjaya Night Half Marathon. Wei Koon was also interested so all 3 of us signed up. We travel to KL on Sat morning in Wei Koon's comfy little Jazz. Chin Chin has a pacer photo shoot and pacer briefing in Mid Valley that same day, so we hang out in Mid Valley until her thing is over at 3pm. Then we had a short rest in her sibling's house before driving to Cyberjaya for the run, starting at 8pm. Visibility was not great, but it didn't look too bad. Haze haze haze :(

A fallen tanker on the highway causing traffic jam, near Bukit Merah

My plan for this run? Run it like a LSD. No racing. Cap at a usual easy LSD pace of 6:25 to 6:40 mins/km. At the start line we met Hui Sung, fast runner from Penang. I wasn't feeling well then, I don't know why, perhaps nervous? Even with a LSD plan in mind, I am still quite kiasu. Can't finish too slow...I have a reputation to keep...haha. 2hr 30mins is the max time I gave myself. Cannot be slower than that.

So off we go at 8pm sharp. The first km was hard to run at my own pace. Everyone around me ran so fast! My watch was showing a sub 6mins pace. I can't possibly maintain that kind of pace for 21km. NO way, slow down! It's hard to slow down when people around are running so fast. You just kind of go with the flow. I manage a 6:11 mins/km average in the first km. I keep reminding myself to slow down. The road was very dark too, no street lamp at all. There were lamp post but all not working. After a while, I got into my own comfortable pace maintaining between 6:20 to 6:30.

At the first water station, I saw people crouching on the ground helping themselves with drinks, there were no tables and I don't see water. Only 1.5l bottles of 100 plus. I decided to skip that water station even though I felt quite thirsty. A few km more, I started to see people walking. Haiz, can't understand why people would want to sign up for a running event and start walking after 5km. What's the point? Should just save the RM70 and walk in nearby park. Not far after the 5km mark, our 21km route merge with 10km and I was regretting not taking a sip at the first water station. With the 10km merging in, I am quite sure water is going to run low in the coming water station if the first one is so badly managed.

True enough at the 2nd water station, I heard the volunteer said they are low on water but they have 100 plus. He didn't even pour the water into cup, but holding a 1.5l bottle of water. I take that bottle from him (and surprisingly he hand it to me) and pour some water into my mouth. Pass it back to him after that and continue my journey.

The 21km route was kind of rolling. The climb was long though not very steep, but it was still taxing on my under-trained legs. The distance went by very slowly. At 12km water station, I decided to take a gel. At that point I was still feeling alright. I was over-taking people. There wasn't very many women in sight, so no one for me to chase after. At 15km, we pass by the Lim Kok Wing University. Only 6km to go, I told myself. Can't wait for this to be over, my body was starting to get really tired. I am not breathing hard and not short of breath, just my legs and body tired. Signs of under training. There was a malay lady 200m ahead of me. I make her my target and push on. Slope over slope we had to overcome.

At 3km to finish, I was surprised by a small size lady coming from behind me running strong overtaking me. Right after that came a hill! Hill was never my forte, the distance between this lady and the malay lady got further and further away. I took a deep breath, re-strategise my steps (switching to small step but higher cadence, read that it is better for uphill run). The Malay lady also slowed down and was overtaken by small size lady. I was getting close to her too. I continue to trail behind both of these lady refusing to let go. Ahhh! Finally it was downhill. I pick up my pace, overtake the malay lady and chase after small size lady. 1km to finish, I was just right behind her...and then I was running side by side with her. We pace together for awhile, until when I see the finish line ahead, I give all I have left and pick up my pace. Speeding to the finish line, I can feel the cramp on my left calf and inner thigh of right leg. It was just a few hundreds meter to go, I pushed to the finish line and yes! Made it and was given a 9th placing finish tag! Wow, surprise surprise. I was very happy with myself. 2hr 12mins was my time which average out to 6:22mins/km pace.

Turns out all 3 of us also get placing. Chin Chin got 3rd place and Wei Koon at 10th. We stayed for prize presentation ceremony at 11pm. More good news at prize presentation. I got upgraded to 8th place and Wei Koon at 9th, not sure what happen there but it's good news so I am not complaining. Both of us got a plaque, and Chin Chin had more. She get cash prize RM500 as well as a box of KT Tape. All 3 of us didn't go home empty handed ;)

From Penang: Hui Sung 1st place Women Senior, Wei Koon 9th Men Senior, Chin Chin 3rd Women Open, me at 8th Women Open

Stinky as hell, we stop by Jejantas Sungai Buloh for a quick shower, then head straight back to Penang. Arrived in Penang at about 3:30am.

Whew! What a long and tiring day, but satisfying... :)

This and a finisher is what I get for landing in 8th placing

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Great to see you writing again. Looking forward to your next post.

    Congratulations on winning the 8th place. Bravo!!

    By Anonymous Yun Mei, at Sep 28, 2015, 11:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home